From BBC Good Food
Prep 5 mins / Cook 10 mins
- 125 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
- Put egg yolks, vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan.
- Whisk for a few mins, then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick, about 3-5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter, bit by bit, until it's all incorporated and you have a creamy hollandaise. If it gets too thick, add a spash of water.
- Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.